Infonetics Research Report Highlights: Carrier Ethernet
Tuesday, May 6, 2010
Carrier Ethernet market is booming
Infonetics Research (http://twitter.com/infonetics) released the first edition of its 2010 biannual Carrier Ethernet Equipment market size, market share, and forecast report.
“Service provider investment in carrier Ethernet is growing faster than overall telecom capital expenditures, so it is one of the areas that defied the economic downturn. Globally, service providers invested $21.6 billion in carrier Ethernet products in 2009, and will increase spending over at least the next five years, for good reason. Carrier Ethernet technologies and products are a permanent, ingrained, inseparable, and growing part of service provider networks, manifested in access, aggregation, core, metro, and long haul. Carrier Ethernet products are used in nearly every part of service provider networks: for customer access, mobile backhaul, mobile core, broadband, broadband backhaul, and optical transport,” notes Michael Howard, Infonetics Research’s principal analyst for carrier and data center networks.
CARRIER ETHERNET EQUIPMENT MARKET HIGHLIGHTS
* Infonetics Research forecasts carrier Ethernet equipment revenue to grow to over $32 billion in 2014
* The market is driven chiefly by the move to IP next-generation network transformation projects and growing traffic (particularly video traffic) from consumer, business, and mobile backhaul networks
* The largest segments of the carrier Ethernet equipment market are routers, carrier Ethernet switches (CES), and optical gear
* Ethernet microwave is the fastest growing segment of the market, based on its use for mobile backhaul
* Revenue from specialized Ethernet access devices (EADs), which are typically not routers or switches, but designed with demarcation and OAM functions to deliver E-LINE and E-LAN services, is expected to more than triple from 2009 to 2014
* Cisco continues to be the worldwide revenue market share leader in the carrier Ethernet switch, Ethernet IP core router, and Ethernet IP edge router markets
Infonetics’ worldwide and regional Carrier Ethernet report provides analysis, market size, market share, and forecasts through 2014 for all carrier Ethernet equipment in service provider networks, including carrier Ethernet switches, IP core and edge routers, SONET/SDH equipment, WDM equipment, VDSL, fiber and copper EADs, EPON, Ethernet and dual Ethernet/TDM microwave equipment, and carrier Ethernet ports by speed.
Companies tracked include Actelis, ADTRAN, ADVA, Alcatel-Lucent, ANDA, Axerra, Brocade, Ciena, Cisco, Corrigent, ECI, Ericsson, Extreme, Fujitsu, Hatteras, Hitachi Cable, Huawei, Infinera, IPITEK, Juniper, MRV, NEC, Nokia Siemens, Overture, RAD Data, Sycamore, Telco Systems, Tellabs, Transmode, Zhone, ZTE, and others.
Log on or join Infonetics’ portal at http://www.infonetics.com/login. From the portal, go to RESEARCH, then CARRIER ROUTING, SWITCHING, AND ETHERNET:
* IP/Ethernet Mobile Backhaul Strategies: Global Service Provider Survey
* Carrier switch and router market up 17% in 4Q09, down 12% in 2009
* 40G vs. 100G battle will be decided by cost; 10G remains tough competitor
* Service Provider Routers and Switches Market Size, Share, and Forecasts
* Carrier Ethernet Equipment Market Size, Share, and Forecasts
* Total Enterprise and Service Provider Routers Pivot
* Total Enterprise and Carrier Ethernet Switches Pivot